Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Pasta Bolognese

I love cooking pasta dishes. I especially love eating Spaghetti. Spaghetti was one of the first few dishes I started making when I was younger. Back then, my spaghetti sauce would always taste different every time I made it. I never had a recipe. Toss in a little bit of this, and a little bit of that, until it comes out to be something edible. I still do that sometimes, but I've gotten a little better at it. This recipe is like a spaghetti sauce, but has a few other extra ingredients. I like making huge batches of sauces so that I can put them in little sandwich bags and freeze them for a later use. Its a great time saver for a working mom like myself and in a rush for a home cooked meal. I use this sauce for spaghetti or any pasta, lasagna, baked ziti and moussaka. Its a really versatile sauce.

4 Tbsp. olive oil
4 Tbsp. butter
4 Tbsp. onion, finely chopped
4 Tbsp. celery, finely chopped
4 Tbsp. carrots, finely chopped
1 1/2 lb. ground turkey or beef
salt to taste
1 cup milk
3/4 cup white wine
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2-28 oz cans of tomato sauce
3 Tbsp. sugar

1) Heat oil and butter in a deep stock pot in medium heat. Add onions, celery and carrots. Cook for about 2 minutes.

2) Add ground meat, making sure to break up any large pieces with a fork. Add salt to taste. Cook meat until it is no longer pink.

3) Carefully add wine and turn the heat up to medium high. Cook until wine has evaporated, stirring occasionally.

4) Turn the heat down to medium and add milk and nutmeg. Cook until milk has evaporated, stirring frequently. Add tomato sauce and cook until sauce begins to bubble. Add sugar. Turn the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add more salt during the simmer as needed. Serve over your favorite pasta.

No comments: